Saturday 21 January 2012

Book Review - Twisted Velvet Chains- by Jessica Bell

WOW...Where do I start?

From the first insightful poem of 'Bipolar Tongues' right through to the very emotive and touching finale of 'Thorns Like Dough' Jessica Bell draws you in and keeps you with her through the stark reality of a Daughter's relationship with her Bipolar Mother, from childhood to adulthood.

Try as I might, I just could not put this book down.
Jessica employs a wonderful array of poetic forms, including a wonderful double cleve in the form of 'Crossed Wires' where she gives us four poems for the price of one. Each column forms it's own poem when read downwards and the fourth is the whole piece read together horizontally. This form is not easy to achieve and demonstrates great poetic skill.

This is not a run of the mill poetry book, not by a long chalk. By telling a complete story from begining to end, it becomes so much more. Don't take my word for it...try it for yourself, I challenge anyone to be unmoved by this.

Jessica Bell is definitely one to watch.

Twisted Velvet Chains

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! Thank you so much for this! I'm so so thrilled you enjoyed it! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been quite a while since I was compelled to read a poetry book from cover to cover in one sitting. An amazing piece of work. :@))

    ReplyDelete